Deccare might be new to A.Shak’s product offering, but is not exactly new to the market, says Neville Short, A.Shak Technical Sales Manager. “Deccare was developed in 1983, DecSeal which was the original water based wood sealer, being sold in the trade markets and used extensively in some of the most high profile coastal projects in KwaZulu-Natal.”
Short is responsible for technical sales support and provides product training for all A.Shak’s sales staff and agents throughout South Africa. He also manages all operational activities that fall under its KwaZulu-Natal branch.
“I have been actively involved with Deccare since we purchased the rights to the product range. This involvement includes all testing and product developments over the past 18 months.”
“Deccare was developed over 30 years ago and DecSeal was the original water based wood sealer, being sold in the trade markets and used extensively in some of the most high profile coastal projects in KwaZulu Natal.”
The original product was named American Deckseal, and later shortened to Decseal. With the introduction of the solvent based sealer range, the idea was to have a total care solution for wood. Hence the Deccare brand name was established consisting of DecSeal and DecOil.
A.Shak has now taken it a step further. “We felt the DecSeal and DecOil names were restrictive. We have retained the historical Deccare slogan and now rebranded the product as Premium Collection WoodSeal and WoodOil.”
“We have not compromised on any of the raw materials that are used in the production of the products, they all conform to specification requirements to ensure we get optimum performance from the end product,” says Short.
The products are:
- Environmentally friendly
- New generation polymers are engineered specifically for timber applications
- QUV tests are conducted in accordance with ASTM G154 procedures (Exposures intended to induce property changes consistent with the end use conditions, including the effects of the UV portion of sunlight, moisture and heat).
Wood is a beautiful substrate that can come alive and add value to a home when cared for and maintained. The African sun is harsh and Ultra Violet rays bleach wood, causing it to fade and lose its natural colour. Surface layers are destroyed by the elements, which penetrate the wood fibres causing it to swell, crack, rot and warp over time. Deccare is a premier grade solution to help limit these elements from taking place.
“The decision to introduce a Woodcare product to the range of A.Shak products is to complement 60 years of supply into the retail and construction industry with market leading products, ” explained Short.
Both products are suitable for:
- Timber decking
- Wooden furniture
- Timber houses
- Window frames
- Exterior doors and fences.
“The Deccare wood products offer retailers a quality range of total wood care which is competitively priced with the confidence of knowing they will have excellent backup service and delivery which A. Shak has prided themselves on for the past 60 years.
The range consists of eight colours plus a clear coating for a natural look. The product is readily available in all the major areas, namely:
- Western Cape.
We will also be supplying all our agents throughout South Africa and Africa. This will include:
- East London
- Port Elizabeth
There are plans to increase the range, with more products to complement the range:
- Biocide Cleaner – a powerful detergent specially formulated to remove dirt, algae and mould from painted and un-painted timber.
- A two Part Epoxy Sealer – two-part 1:1 ratio epoxy to seal off exposed decking screws.
- End Grain Sealer – An aqueous product for sealing of end grain of new wood designated for exterior use such as windows and doors.
The Deccare range is not a completely new product to the market. These are some of the examples where Deccare has been used successfully over the past 15 years:
- Phida Game Lodge
- Zimbali Hotel – Original decking over 2000m²
- Zimbali Eco Estate – Large volumes have been supplied for the last 15 years
- Simbithi Eco Estate – Have supplied the estate since it opened
- Durban Dockside Developments – Decking around the Point
- Mount Edgecombe Estate Clubhouse – DecSeal and DecOil were used
- Es Paradis La Mercy – All decking and balustrading
- Including countless hotels and body corporates.
WoodSeal is a water based sealer/varnish especially designed for the protection of most types of exterior / interior woodwork.
Suitable for all exterior/interior woodwork, decking and walkways requiring a long lasting, hard wearing finish.
- An attractive satin finish which has exceptional Exterior / Interior durability
- Alkali, mould and water resistant
- Non fading colour
- Non-toxic product.
This is a premium quality sealer that works beautifully on timber requiring a low maintenance cycle. Non-absorbent layers allow for a smooth, velvet finish. With its built in anti-fungicide, UV absorbers and dry film preservers, WoodSeal provides a flexible yet durable barrier all year round.
WoodOil is a blend of oils, resins and driers formulated to produce an attractive, natural and durable finish.
Suitable for all exterior / interior woodwork, furniture and joinery requiring a natural oiled open grain finish.
- Easy to use
- Brings out the natural beauty of the wood
- Low lustre, open grain finish
Use WoodOil when you are looking to preserve the natural beauty of the wood.
With its built in UV absorbers and dry film preservers WoodOil delivers a durable practical all weather solvent sealer.