If you think shower gel bottles, soccer cleats and a car have nothing in common, think again. They do! The common denominator is the glue that literally holds these products together. In sport items, shoes as well as cosmetics it’s easier to accept that glue keeps these products together, but when it comes to the automotive industry, it really is hard to believe that glue can replace nuts and bolts.
Well, adhesives are increasingly replacing metal rivets and screws because modern lightweight construction processes depend on them. Adhesive technologies can work wonders in industrial applications, which range from metre-high wind turbines, through razor-thin touchscreens all the way to the inner workings of our smartphones.
Mankind discovered the power of glue early on in its history. The Neanderthals, for instance, used birch tar to make tools. Over time, the effectiveness of adhesives improved and the number of possible applications grew proportionally to the emergence of new technologies.
Henkel arrived in the adhesives business by an accident of history. In reaction to the supply bottlenecks that occurred in the aftermath of the First World War, Hugo Henkel tasked his chemists with developing their own glue for sealing cartons of Persil.
Today, the company is the global market leader and has expanded its activities well beyond conventional glue.
Henkel’s Adhesive Technologies business unit develops high-impact material solutions that act as invisible helpers to make everyday products lighter, smarter and more efficient. Covering sealants and functional coatings in addition to adhesives, the company’s technologies support multiple digital applications, contribute to making electromobility a reality and even help to enable food safety.
Henkel is a leader in today’s markets and shaping tomorrow’s through its adhesives, sealants and functional coatings. It enables the transformation of entire industries, giving customers a competitive advantage and offering consumers a unique experience.
Innovative thinking and entrepreneurial spirit is part of the company’s DNA. Henkel is an industry and application experts across manufacturing industries worldwide and work closely with its customers and partners. Its brands and solutions stretch across 40 technologies.
Henkel operates globally offering a well-balanced and diversified portfolio. The company holds leading positions with its three business units in both industrial and consumer businesses thanks to strong brands, innovations and technologies. Henkel Adhesive Technologies is a global leader in the adhesives market – across all industry segments worldwide. In its Laundry and Home Care and Beauty Care businesses, Henkel holds leading positions in many markets and categories around the world. Founded in 1876, Henkel looks back on more than 140 years of success. Henkel employs more than 53 000 people globally – a passionate and highly diverse team, united by a strong company culture, a common purpose to create sustainable value, and shared values. As a recognised leader in sustainability, Henkel holds top positions in many international indices and rankings. Henkel’s preferred shares are listed in the German stock index DAX.
Henkel’s industrial product portfolio is organised into five Technology Cluster Brands – Loctite, Bonderite, Technomelt, Teroson and Aquence. For consumer and professional markets, it focuses on the four global brand platforms Pritt, Loctite, Ceresit and Pattex.
- In the packaging and consumer goods adhesives business area, Henkel works with major brand manufacturers and international customers to develop innovative and sustainable solutions for food packaging and consumer goods
- In the transport and metal business area, Henkel provides customers in the automotive, aircraft and aerospace, and metal processing industries with outstanding system solutions, a comprehensive technology portfolio and specialised technical services
- In the general industry business area, Henkel offer a comprehensive portfolio of products for the manufacture and maintenance of durable goods
- Its electronics business area offers customers from the electronics industry a specialised portfolio of innovative high-technology adhesives and materials for the manufacture of microchips, electronic assemblies and thermal management systems
- Its adhesives for consumers, craftsmen and building business area markets an extensive range of brand-name products for private, trade and construction users.