Like their international counterparts, South African retailers would traditionally run specials where discounts or ‘two for the price of one’ offers are given for a period of between a few days and a few weeks, normally relating to a particular season or event (like the oncoming winter, or Valentines’ Day, or an oversupply in certain […]
Archive | Columnists RSS feed for this section
In the world of the manufacturer and wholesaler there is often a basket full of brands to keep track of. These are product brands, your company brand and your customers’ brands. In the greater picture of production volumes, driving sales and logistics brand and marketing strategies sometimes fall by the way side. (more…)
As with people, brands are the sum of all interactions they have with customers and prospective customers says Adéle Maritz. There is a famous and very true quote from the American poet Maya Angelou: “People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them […]
In January I organised a gathering of leading independent retailers from ten countries in Paris, France. The objective was to develop a think tank where we could openly share ideas about the future of retailing at an independent level and how we could develop individual businesses. (more…)
Do you get to the ‘marketing’ line item and really give thought to the amount you allocate? The old adage is true, ‘You have to spend money to make money.’ But how much and where should it be spent? (more…)
Whenever you are cleaning, moving or demonstrating any product your hand movements and the general way you treat it tells the customer a story about its value. Even the lowest priced products should be handled as if they are fragile… with respect, with feeling and with the utmost care. (more…)
Pick up any magazine or read retail reports on the web you will find that many reports state that to attract the consumer of today you need to provide an engaging experience. It clearly is more than price and selling ‘stuff’. We need to rethink through the experience, but where do you start? John Stanley […]
Giving out a brochure is often a cop out, says Jurek Leon…find out what he means. (more…)
There are two questions I am often asked about name badges, one by managers and the other by staff. Managers ask: how do I get my staff to wear their name badges? (more…)
There are many books and articles written on retailing being theatre and that the shop floor is the stage where you entertain your customers. John Stanley expands on this topic. (more…)
Jurek Leon asks what it takes to build a successful franchise business? Different people do it in different ways and some are willing to share their secrets. One of these people is Jim Penman of Jim’s Mowing fame and his story What Will They Franchise Next? is available as a free e-book at the Resources section […]
One of the main challenges manufacturers and retailers have is establishing credibility with the customer. According to research, the consumer is more likely to trust information received via their own research, on the web or from friends, than from a salesperson. Some industries have an easier job of getting the credibility message across than others, […]
With today’s pricing competition from mass retailers, trying to compete on price could put you on the road to destruction! However, here’s a little secret you should know: contrary to common perception, customers will not go almost anywhere just to save a few Rands! So if you want to avoid getting beat up on price, […]
Andrew Foote, managing director of Party Plus Franchising writes, “Jurek, here is a true story for you that concluded today – if some other business can profit from this, please feel free to reproduce or edit it as appropriate.” My wife Donna had the pleasure of taking possession of a new car. We needed a second car […]
I was recently invited to be on a conference panel with those considered to be the best of the best in retailing. The aim of the panel was to advise an audience of retailers what they needed to do to become the best of the best themselves. The first panel member mentioned that the key […]
Search this site
Follow us on Twitter
Follow @DIYTradeNews on Twitter
- Boards and timber for retailers April 10, 2019
- Hamilton Brush announces independent future April 10, 2019
- Hitachi past has a Hikoki future April 10, 2019
- Eurolux acquires Radiant Lighting April 10, 2019
- Vermont to host its annual trade show March 13, 2019
- New spark in welding March 13, 2019
- Boards and timber for retailers April 10, 2019
- Why you should belong to SAPMA – dealing with officialdom February 4, 2019
- Mrs SAPMA to depart after two decades February 4, 2019
- Key manufacturing trends for 2019 February 4, 2019
- Soldering on February 7, 2019
- Strong R&D puts Pratley in pole position for 2019 February 7, 2019
- Jan: I want to lay tiles in my house and need a laser t...
- How To Stain Your Fence In 10 Easy Steps | Vertex Sales & Marketing: [...] Wagner Products Featured in DIY Trade News [...
- Homepage: ... [Trackback]... [...] Read More: diytradenews....
- julie vergara: please what the ease way to remoove the prestik fr...
- Calpak: In my opinion the most important benefit of solar ...
- Stefan: I have a marine ply sailboat that sprung a leak. I...