Be a sophisticated marketer using social media

Social media marketing

Marketing is not just putting out an ad and hoping someone responds; it is about planning who, why, and what for every message, advert, or post that leaves your company.

LinkedIn described what they consider to be a sophisticated marketer in its online publication, ‘The Sophisticated Marketer’s Guide’.

“The sophisticated marketer is someone who takes marketing techniques, both old and new, and executes them in a calculated hybrid of strategies. This type of marketer is grounded in timeless, Mad Men-era tactics and combines them with new, modern technology. What worked during the golden age of marketing still works today, but marketers need to adapt. Social media is their playground, content is their fuel, and platforms like LinkedIn are the new black.”

Social media is not a standalone marketing tool just as fires can’t burn out of nothing. Fuel is needed – without fuel there will be no fire, and content is the fuel.

What should your social media content consist of?

There is an 80/20 rule. Only 20% of your content should be promotional. The other 80% should be valuable, interesting, shareable content. Content that will educate or entertain and leave the reader believing that you are the company that knows what’s going on. It helps to ensure that this content is targeted at the right people.

What is a sophisticated marketer?

Marketing takes a message to the consumer, or business, right where they are – be it their doorstep or their desktop.

Marketing is not just putting out an ad and hoping someone responds; it is about planning who, why, and what for every message, advert, or post that leaves your company.

It provides content in different formats about how your services can help a client, or the correct way to use a product, and better yet, something that might not even be related to your product but will be of interest to the person buying your product.

This is why you should educate people about your products. Tell them the pros and cons – the truth. If your audience sees that you know what you are talking about, and they trust and love the content, and advice you are feeding them, they will convert from audience to customer.

Sophisticated marketers have more than one audience

While a billboard or magazine ad targets whoever sees it, online marketing is a little different. Within your company’s target market you need specific target audiences for different campaigns. When marketing a wide range of tools, products and materials, for example, a sophisticated marketer would create two online campaigns. One aimed at the entry-level consumer or lower LSM group, and the other targeted at specialists who are prepared to pay more for quality.

Sophisticated marketers need to be looking into the future

Any marketer who is worth his buck knows that they need to be acting in the now, but visioning the future.

A marketer needs to anticipate what will happen in the future and be prepared for that. A retailer might realise that garden and outdoor sales are rising in popularity and carry more stock in these departments, but at the same time be able to predict a trend before the trend reaches its peak and falls. In the same way a marketer needs to know that when planning a campaign for large and expensive projects, one should start planning months in advance, and should market accordingly. This means advertising specials for various seasons and special occasions.

Sophisticated marketers engage with their customers

Social media has opened the channels of communication between business and consumer. For example – instead of telling your clients what type of plants you have in the gardening section ask them what plants they prefer. They will feel included and see you as a friend of sort for listening to their request, rather than just another business trying to sell them something.

Responding to what your audience says is just as important. Social media allows your customers to give quick feedback and reviews on your service and it is important that you see this and respond timeously.

People might also respond in a negative way and the answer in such a situation is to always engage. The way you handle a public complaint might say more about you than anything else. Potential customers would feel more comfortable to buy from your business if they see a reply apologising and asking how you could rectify your errors. It gives them peace of mind that they will receive the same treatment if they purchase a faulty product, need assistance or service. But whatever you do never simply delete a bad review – it will make people think you don’t care.

Social media engagement can tell a company whether their products and services are relevant and worthy. Never underestimate this valuable data tool.

Source:

Information supplied by Starbright Solutions

For more information visit www.starbright.co.za

email

, ,